[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - not much in birds but good butterflies

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 21:36:30 EDT 2012

Hi All,

A few lackluster days at the watch and just the odd passerine around. The only ones of any note being a continuing juvenile White-eyed Vireo (currently tailless) and a Lincoln's Sparrow or two. Good to see Steve Beal drop me in it on the list. Whilst I hate making predictions (as things rarely pan out as one might expect), if the weather forecast pans out as promised on weather.gov then tomorrow should see us in for a treat. If the intermittent rain forecast (via weather.com) is what we get, then Sunday is likely to be the better of the two days. As it stands though both could be good for Broad-winged Hawk migration. If you've never witnessed this before then get to an inland hawkwatch this weekend. Also of note a hawkwatch in Chicago had both ST Kite and Mississippi Kite today so there could be some interesting stuff mixed in with these flights!

Excuse the ramble off topic, but my highlight of the last few days were today's 3 (migrating?) Giant Swallowtails. A species I've only ever seen twice before in CT, so three in one day seemed pretty special. As well as the swallowtails we were also treated to a couple of other more southerly species in the shape of Cloudless Sulphur, Sachem and Fiery Skipper.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich