[CT Birds] Boothe Park 9/15

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 19:23:41 EDT 2012

Thank you all for coming today and thank you to Chris for the kind words
and organizing the event. We hope to see you all more often and while we're
not there all the time, someone probably will be on the "good" days. It was
about as expected with the front dragging through in the overnight hours,
still stuck to our east through much of the day and keeping large numbers
of birds from piling down. The turbulent conditions stopped Broads from
doing anything until midday and even then it was in mostly smaller groups
or even singles. This also stopped a lot of passerine migrants and any
waterfowl, too. It takes time to calm down aloft, and birds sense the
pressure and moisture levels which also make them want to stay put a little
longer. As the high moves in to completely take over and the pressure
gradient relaxes, so will they. Overnight and tomorrow will be very good
for all migrants (may be a tough day for clouds), and by Monday a southerly
flow will already be taking over ahead of a big low.

We were able to grind out birds from 8:30-15:00, with those remaining
packing it in with stiff necks and needing sustenance while losing our few
clouds rapidly. We did have a burst at the end and even being in my yard
later in the day (down the street) I could see more birds passing through.
Ah well!

Boothe Park Hawk Watch, Stratford 9/15 -- 285 diurnal migrant raptors with
1 Black Vulture, 35 Osprey, 7 Bald Eagle, 57 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 5 Cooper's
Hawk, 160 Broad-winged Hawk, 17 American Kestel, 2 Merlin, and 1 UR. 1
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH was in the spruce trees as usual and 3 more BLACK
VULTURE were locals.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT