[CT Birds] Provincetown Seabirding

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sat Sep 15 21:01:51 EDT 2012

Saturday Sept 15, Had a wonderful morning seabirding off Provincetown,
Mass. Jen and I took the 9:45 Whale Watch this morning on the Dolphin
X from P'town. We were a little early so we stopped by Herring Cove
Beach at 7:45. Within the first fifteen minutes we counted 13
Parasitic Jaegers having a field day with the 250 Terns feeding from
Race Point to out in front of Herring Cove Beach. I counted 13
Forster's Terns in the group closest to shore. The Jaegers were
relentless even bearing down on the Laughing Gulls.

On the Dolphin X- the Humpbacks put on a great show with many
close-encounter breaching, flipper slapping, logging and fluking. In
total we saw 11 differnt whales. The birding was excellent with over
50 Shearwaters (mostly Cory's), 7 additional Jaegers (including 1 dark
Pomarine), Gannets, Red-necked Phalaropes, Wilson's
Storm-Petrels,Laughing Gulls and a few nice surprises.

Most of the concentrations of birds were just off Race Point in Race
Rip, and the southern edge of Stellwagen near the tuna boats.

Highlights for the day(combined total- Herring Cove Beach and on the
Dolphin X)-

Terns- 400 (rough estimate) (mostly Common- I didn't examine the small
groups for other species)
Forster's Tern- 13
Black Tern- 1 (a single bird flying off Long Point)
Least Tern- 1 (a surprising single bird flying along the breakwater on
the trip in to port)
Caspian Tern???- 1 (one very large slow flying Tern seen flying along
the beach by Race Point Beach- only saw the bird for a few minutes
through binoculars while the vessel was steaming back to port) Caspian
would be my best guess?

Parasitic Jaegers- 19 (had a group of four fly over the bow on the way
in just off Race Point Beach)
Pomarine Jaeger- 1 (dark morph- on Stellwagen)

Gannets- 40
Wilson's Storm-Petrels- 13 (all of Race Point in the rip)

Shearwaters- (most flying, but many sitting on the water)
Cory's Shearwater- 27 (spectacular close views)
Manx Shearwater- 15 (love these little shearwaters)!
Sooty Shearwater- 3 (all on Stellwagen Bank at a distance)
Greater Shearwater- 16

Red-necked Phalarope- 60 (all seen off Race Point in the rip- few
singles and pairs- one large flock 50 birds)

Razorbill- 1 (sitting on the water with a small group of resting Manx
and Cory's Shearwater on Stellwagen Bank).

I will have a complete report with many images on my blog in about a week:
New England Coastal Birds http://coastalbirds2.blogspot.com/

Keith Mueller   Killingworth, CT.