[CT Birds] 9/16 - Pine Creek - Philly, Clay-colored+

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 15:01:52 EDT 2012

I had a terrific morning at Pine Creek in Fairfield, covering the entire
area, noting 72 species overall. The standouts were definitely a
PHILADELPHIA VIREO along the trail behind the ballfields, and a
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW with House Sparrows on Old Dam Road. It was my best
single morning ever at this location, based on the number of species seen.
Although the warbler diversity wasn't what it was elsewhere, the sheer
numbers and quality of birds sure made up for it. I'll be posting photos of
the Clay-colored and Philly on my eBird checklist (below) a little later
on. Highlights below:

2 Common Loon
3 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 Broad-winged Hawk
1 American Kestrel
1 Eastern Wood-Pewee
1 Alder/Willow Flycatcher -- silent.
1 Least Flycatcher
1 Philadelphia Vireo
1 Red-breasted Nuthatch
1 Veery
1 Swainson's Thrush -- I was surprised to only encounter one Swainson's, as
during my pre-sunrise walk to Pine Creek I heard a number of Swainson's
flight calls, supposedly individuals in some kind reorienting flight.
1 Northern Waterthrush
2 Black-and-white Warbler
1 Nashville Warbler
40 Common Yellowthroat
13 American Redstart
8 Magnolia Warbler
1 Yellow Warbler
5 Palm Warbler -- 3 'Western', 2 'Yellow'
1 Prairie Warbler
1 Clay-colored Sparrow
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
3 Bobolink

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11592821

To most, the ridiculous description of my route at Pine Creek might sound
like an absurd language or perhaps some mixed-up code. If you're wondering
where some of these places are feel free to email me! I'd be happy to help
provide any information regarding this fantastic location.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield