[CT Birds] Boothe Park 9/16 - 2,160 raptors & Stratford Point

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 19:02:35 EDT 2012

Thank you to the many observers and visitors who joined us at Boothe Park
today from 8:30 to 16:45. The regulars get rest for a few days and need it,
especially after the 11-12 hour where we had 1,138 Broads with one large
group of about 736. The ridge built up over us providing plenty of nice
clouds, but birds also slowed dramatically after that with variable wind
from NW to SW, keeping more inland (where they were focused anyway). We had
one burst of 180+ near 14:40 but that was basically it.

Boothe Park Hawk Watch, Stratford 9/16 -- 2,160 diurnal migrant raptors
with 9 Turkey Vulture (yes, migrants, not the locals), 67 Osprey (breaks
our 09/15/10 one-day record of 55), 16 Bald Eagle (breaks our 10/06/11
one-day record of 15), 3 Northern Harrier, 74 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 11
Cooper's Hawk, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 1,961 Broad-winged Hawk, 16 American
Kestrel, 1 UA and 1 UR. 1 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH was in the spruce trees as
usual and 3 BLACK VULTURE were locals, just like yesterday and every day.
We had 2 PURPLE MARTINS late in the day, and a group of 45+ Tree Swallows
go by midday. 1 Northern Rough-winged Swallow zipped by later. Also 6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird with 33 Chimney Swift and the first small groups
of Canada Geese and Double-crested Cormorant.

At Stratford Point in the early morning I had 9 American Kestrel and 1
Merlin hunting the grasslands. 1 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH as expected and also
2 White-breasted Nuthatch, rare for the property and being in trees near
the water (AKA migrants). Also moving were Blue Jays with 68 tallied in my
time there. Otherwise it was relatively quiet with 1 Magnolia Warbler, 12+
Common Yellowthroat, 1 Eastern Wood-Pewee, 4 BOBOLINK, 7+ Gray Catbird, and
19+ Savannah Sparrow, all expected sights in low numbers with others
missing, probably because it was falcon city. I also noted the FOS Common
Loon in the mouth of the Housatonic and FOS White-throated Sparrows, 1
individual there and at home.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT