[CT Birds] Junco confusion

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 10:18:16 EDT 2012

There is an apparent inconsistency in Dave Provencher's post of 9/14 which
I think is muddying the waters a bit (at least up here in Northern CT, when
we  can break through the ice). First he states:
" I almost mentioned in my reply that Juncos do breed in CT",
but in the next sentence, says:
" virtually 100% of Dark-eyed Juncos breed outside of CT".
For those of us  shivering up here under the northern lights that is  an
obvious contradiction. If there is any question though, climb up to the
hemlock forests atop Canaan Mtn in North Canaan  in July and  August  and you
will find families of Juncos happily scratching in the needles and  chasing
through the trees. There is no doubt they breed there.
Don Morgan