[CT Birds] What a morning...

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 17 11:25:42 EDT 2012

What a morning...

First went to Bakersville swamp N Htfd 7:30 - nothing at swamp, but at overgrown
field were:
2 Lincoln's Sp
2 Song Sp
2 Swamp Sp
2 purple finch
2 House wren
2 Yellowthroats
2 Raven- Birds come in 2's here i guess...

On to Brody Park West: 8:00 - Completely Dead! just 1 Jay.

On to private rd going into woods off Niles Rd:( approx 900 feet El )
As I went in, 8:15- saw nothing! heard one Chickadee -
saw 1 Winter Wren way in, but that's it.

15 mins later, 8:30, On way out, as the sun was rising and hitting the woods
 I saw some birds.Got out of car, here's what just showed up. I stayed 20 mins
>From a line of open Hemlocks all feeding from the tops within were -

12, yes 12 YB Sapsucker all Im  birds!
Cedar Waxwing - everywhere.eating Poke Berry
2 S Tanager
1 Hermit Thrush
2 Red E Vireo
1 Blue headed Vireo
2 Philadelphia Vireo! - one in two different trees at same time.
2 yes 2 Cape May Warbler!
1 Chestnut Sided Warbler
2 Pine Warbler
10+ BT Green Warbler
3 Yellow Rumped Warbler
3 Magnolia Warbler
1 Black & White Warbler
3 Blackpoll Warbler - one poss a Bay breasted?
1 Blackburnian Warbler
1 Tennessee Warbler
2 Redstart
7 plus Ruby c Kinglet - could have been more-
1 Least Flycatcher
and other common stuff......
All birds were very active, chasing each other around. Must be from being in the
warm sun.
So much for early birding in the fall! I think getting out after 8:30, giving
time for the sun to rise and warm the habitat is the best time of all.

After 20 mins there, most all birds dispersed into the surrounding area - with
only a few left to see. (Almost a Bluff point effect, cept  birds were feeding
not flying. The early sun hitting a woods edge facing East seems to be the place
to look for morning birds in the fall.
 But for sure, 2 is now my lucky number !

Paul Carrier - Harwinton