[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Philly Vireo

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Sep 19 09:05:23 EDT 2012

Luke, I was thinking it was looking like a decent year for several somewhat uncommon migrants, such as Philly Vireo and Connecticut Warbler, but it is a bit difficult to tell when the number seen each year is fairly small. Bluff Point is always good for both (which is virtually the only place I bird in CT in September these days) but it is not a true indicator of the rest of the state. I think we also have more good birders in CT now than ever before (most with cameras of some sort) so it isn't just the old hands like Paul Carrier, Greg Hanisek, Jay Kaplan, etc. etc. that are the only ones turning them up. I also think that weather patterns have helped move a few more of these guys into our area this Fall as well. Maybe we can finally get that elusive Townsend's Warbler this year!

David Provencher