[CT Birds] Bluff Point predictions.

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Sep 19 09:36:36 EDT 2012

I'm skipping all the meteorological stuff causing the conditions (because most birders just want to know are the birds gonna be there or not) but it doesn't look promising for Bluff over the next several days. As I have said, there must be a northerly component to the wind for the hot corner to be "hot". The forecasted winds for tonight are northwest through the pm hours but backing to north-northeast by the am hours. This should result in a good movement of migrants tonight, BUT, if the winds do go east of north by dawn, then the migrants will come out of Bluff Point across the broad east to west edge caused by the Amtrak rail bed and will not funnel out through the hot corner only. This broad exit is a VERY frustrating event for birders (trust me on that one). Having said that, it is possible that the hot corner will be interesting tomorrow morning, it is just too close to call given the predicted surface winds. I will not be able to make it tomorrow due to family obligations, but if I could I probably would check it out with the mindset that it could be a bust. That's the best I can say about tomorrow right now.

The current forecast for surface winds after tomorrow are quite bad for Bluff Point right through the weekend. Which (selfishly) is fine with me since I will be deep in the wilderness of the White Mountains all weekend swapping Blackpoll Warblers for Boreal Chickadees and freezing temps!

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.