[CT Birds] Color banded Ipswich, Gulls

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu Sep 20 11:38:10 EDT 2012

Passing along the request below from a Canadian researcher.  We get sightings of "Ipswich" Savannah Sparrows in CT every winter.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

I am a graduate student at Acadia University working with Dr. Phil
Taylor on a new project studying the spring and fall migration
patterns of the Ipswich Sparrow which breeds exclusively on Sable
Island, Nova Scotia and migrates South along the coast to wintering
grounds as far as Florida.  In August 2012 we banded Ipswich Sparrows
with unique color coded leg bands.

There is also an ongoing project to monitor the movements and
migrations of Great Black Backed and Herring Gulls.  In June 2012
Herring gulls were banded with a PINK wing-tag and leg band, Great
Black Backed gulls were banded with a GREEN wing-tag and leg band, and
gull chicks were banded with a GREEN alpha-numeric leg band.

Sightings of these birds throughout the year will enhance our
knowledge of their movements and greatly aid in the success of this
project.  Please contact me, Zoe Crysler, with reports of color banded
Ipswich Sparrows and contact Dr. Rob Ronconi with reports of color
banded gulls.

There is also a blog following the research being conducted on Sable
Island, with links on how to report marked birds.  There will be
photos and stories of re-sighted birds on the blog so sign up for
e-mail updates.

Thank you,
Zoe Crysler
zcrysler at gmail.com