[CT Birds] Exciting new birding programs at the CT Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 11:58:19 EDT 2012

Hi All,
Here's a partial list of upcoming birding programs at the Connecticut Audubon Society Coastal Center at Milford Point that I thought might be of interest. Others can be found on our webpage at www.ctaudubon.org, including our popular fall canoeing trips through the Wheeler Marsh, a new adult Yoga Series, and a slew of new family programs. This fall, we've added exciting new Saw-whet Owl banding demonstrations. It's a pilot project and we're looking forward to learning more about their migration habits in our area. We'll have a few more new programs to add to the  mix as well. Stay tuned, and we hope you can join us. Call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register. See you soon. Frank Gallo, Director.
Sorting Out Bird Songs
Thursdays, September 27 orNovember 8, 7 – 9 p.m.
Birdsong can be an incredible aid to finding and identifying birds.InstructorFrank Gallo, an avid student of birdsong, will introduce the basicsof birding by ear, using sound resources, as well as the tips, tricks, and evenpitfalls to identifying birds by sound. Is that an oriole or a tanagersinging? Could that be a hermit thrush calling or a catbird? Come find out, aswe delve into the basics of birding by ear. Meet at theConnecticutAudubon Coastal Center at Milford Point. Fee: $35.
Big Sit! Fundraiser
Theweekend of Oct 12/13 ( day depends on the weather)
This year ourConnecticut “Big Sit!” champion team, the B.W. Surf Scopers, (Jim Dugan,Patrick Dugan, Frank Gallo, Tina Green, and Frank Mantlik) will again defend,and attempt to break, their own Connecticut “Big Sit!” birding record--107species seen from within a 17-foot circle. This international event, created byNew Haven Bird Club, and sponsored by Bird Watchers Digest, will be held eitherSaturday, or Sunday, October 12 or 13th, with teams competing worldwide. Ourgoal is to spot as many different species of birds as possible without leavingour seats!  This year, Frank Gallo will be away leading a birding triptoSpain, so we’re calling in our trusted Raven Luna-ticks teammates, FranZygmont, and David Tripp to join us. Please help support their efforts.
We need your help to make this event the best yet – support our record-breakingquest and the ConnecticutAudubonCoastalCenterwith a pledge.  Every dollar you pledge willgo directly to support the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point –truly one of the best birding destinations in the Northeast! Your donation is 100% tax deductible; the money is used to support ourconservation and education efforts. Please visit our webpage at www.ctaudubon.org for a pledge form, or contact us at203-878-7440 x 502.  We appreciate your generous support. Thank you! Frank Gallo, Director
Ps. Stay tuned; we’ll post the results on our blog atctaudubon.blogspot.com
AutumnOwl Prowl
Friday, October 26, 7:15– 9:15 p.m.
When the sun retreats, owls awaken to go in search of prey. Some say thatowls are wise, others that they sparked legends of ghosts. Whatever the truth,a night near All Hallows Eve is a fine time to uncover the mysteries of theseamazing nocturnal hunters. We’ll learn about a few of the species that co-existin our area, and then carpool to a local park to try to call one in. It’s ahoot! Fee: $35/person. Call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register.
Northern Saw-whet Owl BandingDemonstrations
October 19th, 20th, 23rd,25th, 27th; November Dates (to be determined)
This year, the Coastal Center at Milford Point will begin a pilotSaw-whet Owl banding project to document the migration of these mysteriouslittle owls along the coast. Starting October 19th, we will berunning a banding station from 7:00 PM- 10:00 pm, and invite you to join us.This is our first year, so we’re not sure of our success*; any owls caught willbe banded, aged and sexed, photographed then released back on their way. Whilewe wait, there will also be discussion on the biology of Saw-whets and otherowls in our area. Bring your cameras and dress appropriately for the weather. Preregistrationrequired; call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502.  Leaders:Sean Graesser and Frank Gallo
Cost: $15 CAS Members/ $20 Non-members*  (Limit: 15 people per night.)
*If no owls are caught on your first visit, you may return on one other nightat no charge

Frank

Life is short. Bird often.