[CT Birds] Birds In Their Habitat

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 12:14:06 EDT 2012

Next weekend the Connecticut Audubon's Fairfield Center will have their
Bird's In Their Habitat show featuring David Sibley as Artist of the Year.
I had some of the paintings David will have for sale in my house for safe
keeping and they are lovely.  He will also speak on Saturday.  Hope you can
join us.  David won't be the only artist.  A number of bird artists will
have their work on exhibit and for sale.  The information is below.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut

As an important part of our Birds In Their Habitat art exhibit and sale, we
showcase an artist who is outstanding in his ability to depict birds in
their habitats. Their art is a source of inspiration to us all. This year
we are delighted to announce the selection of David Allen Sibley as our
2012 Artist of the Year.

 David Allen Sibley is an internationally recognized award-winning author
and illustrator of nine books, most notably "The Sibley Guide to Birds"
considered by many to be the most comprehensive guide for North American
field identification. He is recognized as America's leading
ornithologist/illustrator and the preeminent brand in American Birding.* *

*Saturday, September 29*

*"The Art of Identification"*

*David Allen Sibley will talk about the universal appeal of nature study:
our deep-seated desire to classify and understand the world around us.
Beginning with childhood drawings he will follow the gradual development of
his ideas and the struggle to combine the artistic and scientific aspects
of identification into his books, first the Guide to Birds and now the new
Guide to Trees. "But a field guide is more than just a reference book, it
is a bridge that connects people to the natural world, and in the 21st
century that connection is more endangered, and more precious, than ever
before," states Sibley, "Identifying the birds and trees around us can help
us understand the most pressing environmental issues of today, by helping
us to understand our own place in the natural system". *

* *

His artwork will be on display at the Birds in their Habitat Art Exhibit
and Sale September 29 -30 from 10:00am - 4:00pm at the Connecticut Audubon
Society's Center at Fairfield.

* Gala Preview Party*

*Friday, September 28*

*6:30 pm - 9:30 pm*

*Cocktails and Hors d'oeuvres*

*$75 per person*

* *

*Gallery Hours - September 29 & 30*

*10:00 am - 4:00 pm*

*Adults $5 - children 10 and under free*

The Center at Fairfield*

*2325 Burr Street, **Fairfield, CT 06824** *

*Call 203-259-0416 ext 407 for event details*