[CT Birds] Pipits and festivals

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Sep 21 13:57:03 EDT 2012

American Pipits seem to have arrived over the last two days.  Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe and I had them yesterday at Rocky Hill Meadows and at Sandy Point and I had them today at Menunketesuck flats in Westbrook.  Purple Finches continue in numbers at the Bent of the River in Southbury, with up to a dozen hanging around the feeders in the morning hours and activity throughout the day.   Tuesday there, I had a wonderful close encounter with a Blackburnin Warbler (immature male I think, but I could be sold on an argument for an adult female), a photo of which I used for the article I wrote on the storm wrap up:

One correction for the article though, at the time of writing, it was looking like the front wouldn't go through until later Sunday.  Now it is looking like perfect timing, with nice weather on Saturday, a cold front going through Saturday night and NW winds on Sunday.  This means that it will be a great weekend to get out to the Greenwich Hawkwatch Weekend or Sunday's New Haven Migration Festivals.   Sunday could be a rare confluence of a big hawk migration day with Hawkwatch Weekend and the Migration Festival.  If the front goes through before dawn, it could even be a great day for landbird migrants in the nets at Lighthouse Point Park.    Make sure to arrive early to catch the banding demonstration from Connecticut Audubon Society volunteers.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488

Phone: (203)264-5098 x308 (note, I currently do not have a phone at my desk, but will check messages, email is a quicker way to reach me right now)
Fax: (203)264-6332