[CT Birds] Hammonasset - probable Western Tanager

Bill Asteriades Asterbunch at cox.net
Fri Sep 21 21:21:02 EDT 2012

While birding at the campground at Hammonasset State Park today, I saw a probable Western Tanager.  Two strong wing bars were noted, with the lower being white and the upper yellowish.  The wings bars were stronger than a female scarlet tanager, which can show weak wing bars on occasion.  Bill color was a light orange.  I spent an hour or so trying to relocate bird but was unsuccessful.  The bird was seen in a conifer tree near a sign entitled "Pootatuck Street", just as you enter the campground from the parking lot.  The bird was last seen flying towards the parking lot.

Also, there were at least 5,000 tree swallows forming a tight funnel near Meigs Point this morning. They swooped down near a large bush and rose many times over a 5-10 minute period; it was quite a sight!

9/21/12 Madison, Hammonasset State Park - 1 probable WESTERN TANAGER, 2 LITTLE BLUE HERONS.

Bill Asteriades
South Glastonbury, CT.