[CT Birds] Death of Fred Bodsworth

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 09:45:02 EDT 2012

 I just saw this note on Bird Studies Canada.  I trace my love of birding
to Fred Bodsworth.  I had a bird feeder and loved watching feeder birds
before I read his book "Last of the Curlews" in 1955, but that book ignited
my awareness of our impact on birds and the need to become active in a more
meaningful way.  If any of you are unfamiliar with the book, it appeals to
all ages and is a "must read."

"Celebrated and beloved Canadian birder, naturalist, journalist, and author
Charles Frederick (“Fred”) Bodsworth passed away on September 15 at the age
of 93. His contributions to natural history in Ontario were numerous; the
national and international impacts of his writing, immense and
immeasurable.   Fred’s book *Last of the Curlews*, a fictionalized account
of the last pair of Eskimo Curlews, has been widely cited as one of the
finest natural history-based novels ever written. Since its 1955
publication, the book has never been out of print, and more than three
million copies have been sold."

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut