[CT Birds] Question about Behavior

Jan Hollerbach smilifase at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:28:15 EDT 2012

Yesterday while gardening, I heard and then saw 2 Yellow-shafted Flickers
that landed in an overhead branch in a large oak.  A third one then came in
but it flew off, leaving the just the two.  I didn't have my bins, but from
what I could see these 2 birds pretty much sat on the limb facing each
other.  Then one would start head-bobbing side to side.  As soon as one
started the other would respond by doing the same thing, but moving the
head in the opposite direction of the first.  Then they'd stop.  Either one
could initiate the head-bobbing and then the other would respond.  This
went on for about 1/2 hour.  While they were bobbing they would make a
series of soft 1-note vocalizations.  If it were Spring I might surmise
(possibly wrongly) it was courtship.  It had that kind of feel to it.  I
was quite sweet.  (For those of us that over-empathize with our feathered
friends  :-D  )

Has anyone seen this?  Do we know what it might be?

Jan Hollerbach