[CT Birds] The Strixine Symphony Continues in Bethany

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 24 21:57:46 EDT 2012

I'm sitting here tryng to get my work done, 'not even considering getting around to the task of clacking the past 4 days of Lighthouse data into HawkCount [by the way, 'nice Kestrel flight during the New Haven Migration Fest, last Sunday afternoon], listening to Sirius Grateful Dead concert 8/26/71 NYC, NY, working, working.

But...

Just as Pigpen is belting out "So Hard to Handle" , I hear "whuh, whuh, whuh, whuh whuh cooks for you all...."  Literally, right in my front yard. Here we go again.  In a moment, I'm outside listening to my visitor, as well as a slightly more distant swamp owl, responding.

It's been like this for several weeks now.  Screech owl one night.  Screech owl then Great Horned Owl.  Barred Owl followed by GH Owl.  GH Owl in the morning.  GH Owl several mornings.  Now this.  Sometimes in life, you just have to stop and smell the roses.

I've been sniffing a lot of roses lately.

Steve Mayo
Bethnay