[CT Birds] OT very rare butterfly in Connecticut back in June

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Sep 25 12:20:23 EDT 2012

This is a bit off topic, but I know there are lots of butterfly folks here.    I had the opposite of the Sprague's Pipit experience happen yesterday.  A photo I had taken back in June and thought was a common butterfly turned out to be the butterfly equivalent of a Sprague's Pipit.  Thank you to Peter DeGennaro for noticing my error!  You can read more about it here:

To put the topic back on birds, this cold front slated to pass through by Thursday should make Friday good at migrant hotspots for raptors or landbirds and get us well into the swing of sparrow season.   Yesterday, I stopped by Rocky Hill Meadows on my day off and while it wasn't very exciting for shorebirds, there was a very nice warbler wave in the small trees along the road near where the Bobolinks, Dickcissels and Lark Bunting have been seen (a little to the north of there).  There were many Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers, and at Least one Blackpoll Warbler.  Lots of American Pipits hanging around there and I had a Swainson's Thrush along the river past the model airplane fields. Thanks to Buzz Devine and Denise Jernigan for alerting me to the warbler wave.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road