[CT Birds] Make your voice heard for National Wildlife Refuges:

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Sep 28 14:04:18 EDT 2012

Please see the alert below from the National Wildlife Refuge Association with an opportunity to make your voice heard to protect the National Wildlife Refuge System from across the board budget cuts.
Dear Refuge Friends,

As you are probably aware, every discretionary program in our federal government -- Including the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and it's National Wildlife Refuge System -- faces a minimum 10% cut on January 1, 2013 as part of what is called "sequestration".  This "Fiscal Cliff" will have huge impacts across every facet of our government, from the military, to schools, to wildlife conservation.

Congress must hear from constituents that this sort of draconian cut is not acceptable.

The National Wildlife Refuge Association and numerous refuge Friends groups have joined a coalition called, America's Voice for Conservation, Recreation and Preservation - an extremely diverse coalition aimed at highlighting the importance, economically and culturally, of these three pillars of America's heritage.

If your Friends group has not become a member of the coalition and signed our letter to Congress, please do so as soon as possible!  It's very easy to do - just go to the America's Voice website <http://www.avcrp.org/> and enter an e-mail address and then the name of your Friends group.

We sincerely hope you will join America's Voice and sign the letter to Congress - by banding together with other groups that care about conservation, recreating on public lands and the preservation of America's special places, we can strengthen our message and let Congress know how important these issues are to Americans.

To sign the letter, join the Coalition and learn more about the coalition, visit: http://www.avcrp.org/

Thank you in advance for your help!

Desiree

AVCRP is a national coalition of 1,200 organizations and businesses who signed a letter urging Congressional leaders to sustain the federal funds that are critical to the American way of life. AVCRP members are united in a shared understanding that federal investments in natural resource conservation, outdoor recreation and historic preservation programs are vital to the future of our great nation.

AVCRP member organizations represent tens of millions of Americans with diverse political backgrounds and areas of interest, ranging from conservation and the environment to hunting, fishing and many other forms of outdoor recreation as well as historic preservation. AVCRP is made up of national and regional non-profit organizations as well as major American businesses.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488

Phone: (203)264-5098 x308 (note, I currently do not have a phone at my desk, but will check messages, email is a quicker way to reach me right now)
Fax: (203)264-6332