[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge 323 Raptors - Pine Siskins

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sun Sep 30 21:00:47 EDT 2012

Hi All,

A nice start to the morning whilst awaiting participants on my trip today to Central Park, NY were a group of flyover Pine Siskins. Today at the watch we tallied a respectable 323 raptors with over 100 Broadies tallied (pretty late for that large a number) although not quite as impressive as the 287 or something at Golden Gate Raptor Observatory this week! Numbers here: https://www.hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=149&ryear=2012&rmonth=09&rday=30&PHPSESSID=455fd3768bbb5a059bc99e16f587bfa3 We also busted through 20,000 hawks for the season this week which is nice.

Highlights in Central Park included Connecticut (down to about 5 feet - without tape) and Hooded Warblers, multiple Grey-cheeked and Swainson's Thrushes as well as a slew of Thrashers, Sapsuckers and the like. Even a poor night for migration can still be pretty good in that park. Thanks to Cynthia Ehlinger for the coverage.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich