[CT Birds] Seabirding around Provincetown MA on 9/29

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 21:13:40 EDT 2012

Dear CT birders,

For anybody following the HAS Hartford Audubon Society Cape Cod seabirding
trip on 9/29, here are the highlights, including very approximate

It poured rain before and soon after our morning boat ride, but not during
our time on the boat! Great luck.

We brought almost twenty birders on the DolphinFleet whale watch boat, and
found plenty of bird (and whale) activity around the east and north
perimeters of Provincetown (no need to go to Stellwagen Bank which has been
slow recently). The DolphinFleet and its outstanding staff were very
helpful and collaborrative. Many thanks to Biologist Dr. Carole Carlson,
Naturalist John Conlon, Captain George and Videographer Damon, and to my
co-leaders Keith Mueller and Guy Tudor. And thanks to all the participants
in this adventure. And thanks to Cape Cod for having some of the best
seabirding on the East Coast.

PRELIMINARY HI-LIGHT NUMBERS.... until we combine all the notes from this
Sabine's Gull  0  (we tried hard, scrutinizing every candidate larid that
Wilson's Storm-petrel  0  (amazing!)
Northern Fulmar  0
Black-legged Kittiwake  0
Long-tailed Jaeger  0
Pomarine Jaeger  2
Parasitic Jaeger  20
Jaeger spp  20
Manx Shearwater  50 more or less (lots more were seen, but some probably
the same birds).
Cory's Shearwater 30
Great Shearwater  5
Sooty Shearwater  2
Red-necked Phalarope  10
Gannet  200
Common Tern  many hundreds
Roseate Tern  10
Forster's Tern  50
Least Tern  1
Laughing Gull  hundreds
Great Cormorant  4

There was some probable double counting of birds, especially the very
active Manx Shearwaters and Jaegers, so these numbers are the reduced
ball-park numbers.

Within several days or a week Keith Mueller will publish a much more
detailed photo report on this trip, at his outstanding blog.... Dont miss
New England Coastal Birds  (coastalbirds2.blogspot.com)

Meanwhile you can see the trip map and some of my initial photos from this
trip at...

By the way, if you have not tried imaged-stabilized binocs for pelagic
trips you are missing something outstanding. Canon 10x42L-IS are highly
recommended, especially if your eyes are getting old like mine.

Good birding!
Tom Robben
Glastonbury CT