[CT Birds] Manchester CT warbler directions

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 1 14:01:57 EDT 2012

A couple of people have emailed about directions to the CT warbler and is seems I'm not the only person who got lost finding the spot (many thanks to the people who saved me from getting lost in the woods).  To help out others who don't know the park he's the route I took:

- Park in the lot on the south side of Rte 44, literally right before the entrance to 84 if you are coming from the east (downtown Manchester).  It's a divided hwy (and the lot is not very obvious) so you may need to go over the highway and come back.
- from the parking lot take the trail that cuts into the woods to the left
- stay on the main trail, keeping the sewage treatment plant to your left until you come to a power cut
- cross the power cut then take a left at the T
- follow the trail (with the sewage treatment plant on your left still) until you it comes up against the chain-link fence that borders the sewage treatment plant.  The trail runs alongside the fence for a little way until you come to a gravel road that goes into the plant.
- Turn right along the gravel road (away from the treatment plant) and go under the power lines again.
- Just past the power cut, take another gravel road to the right
- Walk for a few minutes (a few 100 m?) until you see the red truck (which is big and hard to miss ... the kind of thing a toddler would ride in) .... this assumes the truck has not been moved again.
- The truck marks the point where you get onto a narrower path that runs more-or-less along the river bank.  Turn left and walk along the path with the river to your right.
- Follow this path until it crosses an open, marshy area where there are a couple of small bridges/boardwalks and a viewing platform off to the right.
- Shortly after this there is a big tree that has fallen across the path (you can walk under it though).  This tree has chicken wire around the base.  Stand by the chicken wire and look towards the river into the undergrowth.
- My sense was that simply sitting still in this spot is the best way to see the bird.  It appeared to be doing circuits and going by this spot just a meter or two into the undergrowth every hour or so.  When it came by it was present very briefly, but the vegetation is quite open so it was not hard to get good looks as long as you were in that spot when it passed by.

I hope I didn't miss any steps.  Good luck.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net