[CT Birds] feeder birds

kevindoyle01 at charter.net kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Tue Oct 2 18:22:52 EDT 2012

New Milford, CT

Since others are discussing their sightings at their feeders I thought I
will add my findings ... though not terribly exciting ... Monday 10-1-12
I was out photographing these wonder creatures where I found at one time
no less than 20-25 purple finches with the vast majority being female
and with varying feathers on their breasts ranging from streaks to
visual spots and of different sizes meaning to me age ... any help with
this would be appreciated and of these birds only 2 males.

The next finding which may mean something I had at least 15 female gold
finches that seemed to arrive at once with a wonderful melody in the
trees ... they decended and the next thing I notice 4 or 5 females began
beating their wings furiously as though something was up ... that
something was the lone male who sat at the feeder for a few minutes
gouging himself with the females constantly beating and calling out what
happened next the male feed 2 of the 5 females while the others begged
and as fast as they appeared they vanished with only a few females
returning over the remainder I watched.

Also titmice by the dozens, finally seeing chickadee's in numbers, 3
white breasted nut-hatches and a pair of downy woodpeckers ... not
overly exciting but maybe the gold finch observation is note-worthy.

kevindoyle01 at charter.net