[CT Birds] feeder birds

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 20:57:34 EDT 2012

Kevin,

Unlike House Finch, a species in which males acquire purple colored plumage
in their first autumn, Purple Finch males don't start to acquire purple
plumage until  they are a year or more of age, according to various
sources.. So, many Purple Finches which appear to be females could easily
be 1st autumn males. Many of these 1st autumn males have been singing the
song which sounds very much like the song of various vireo species - the
"see me, over here, see me" song. They also sing the longer, warbling like
song.

Supposedly, the females only sing at the nest site and they sing a soft,
long song. There may be a way to distinguish 1st autumn male Purple Finches
from females by plumage alone, but I don't know if that is the case.

Charlie Barnard Jr
Stratford