[CT Birds] Lincoln's Sparrow

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Wed Oct 3 19:30:46 EDT 2012

Hi Paul et al,

To my mind Lincoln's Sparrow is always a pretty common migrant through Connecticut, it's one of those species that was always reportable like Swainson's Thrush, White-crowned Sparrow etc etc but is pretty easy to find at the right time in the right habitat. This year to me seems no different. I think the main difficulty people have is that they are one of the tougher sparrows to identify, are a little skulky and my impression is that their peak is probably around late September when most people are looking for warblers and a little before people switch over to sparrow hunting. Personally I have had 8 birds all in the same spot (Wilton dump) during a fallout and 4 plus is not uncommon at Allen's on a decent day (which sadly did not include today). There have been multiples most days in Greenwich the week leading up to this but it is hard to know how many you are seeing when they don't tend to just sit in the open like some sparrow species.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich