[CT Birds] Report for NHBC 1St Wednesday Walk 10/3/12 at Allen's Meadow, Wilton

Kris johnson krisjohnson99 at snet.net
Wed Oct 3 20:41:05 EDT 2012

Thirteen participants joined Luke Tiller, Leader and two great assistants, Joe
Bear and Frank Mantlik at Allen's Meadow in Wilton this morning from 8-11 am for
the New Haven Bird Club First Wednesday Walk (10/3/12).
We saw or heard 50 species during the walk and ran to the cars to escape the
rain at the end.  Of special note we had a Cooper's Hawk chasing an American
Kestrel, and special comparisons of Savannah and Song Sparrows on the fences at
the Community Garden as well as Purple and House Finches sitting near each other
in the trees or bushes.  The number of PURPLE FINCHES was unusual and Carolina,
House and a WINTER WREN were in the thickets, often close to each other, and
there were a number of Palm warblers along the paths.
The species seen are listed below:
Kris Johnson, Scribe
Great Blue Heron
Northern Harrier