[CT Birds] Hartford Audubon Oct. events - Sam Fried, Townsend Dickinson, Tom Sayers

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 4 11:53:11 EDT 2012

The monthly meeting of Hartford Audubon Society is on Tuesday, Oct. 9 featuring Sam Fried, speaking about Canada and Tom Sayers giving a brief update on the kestrel project and selling his photos, calendars, note cards, etc. Townsend Dickinson is the featured speaker for the Wildlife Series on Oct. 23 on the topic of Migrants.

      TUESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2012

      7:00 PM - Refreshments

      7:30 PM - Regular Meeting

      St. James's Episcopal Church,

      1018 Farmington Ave, West Hartford
      Speaker: Sam Fried
      Eastern Canada:
      Journey of Discovery
      Join HAS member and
      birding guide/author Sam Fried as he describes a recent visit to our
      northern neighbor. Traveling 6000 miles by car and boat, we explore the
      Maritime Provinces of Canada.  Starting from Connecticut, we briefly visit
      New Brunswick, circumnavigate Cape Breton Island of Nova Scotia and cross
      the Northumberland Strait to the magnificent and stark scenery of
      Newfoundland, with its craggy headlands, rocky seacoast and fascinating
      history.  The native wildlife is key as we journey by ship and shore to
      discover the birds and mammals of this little known province.  Onward to
      Labrador, home of a new 700 mile dirt road that circles the province,
      where we drive through the endless boreal forest in search of wildlife and
      local cultures.  We complete this epic journey with a visit to Quebec and
      experience its more civilized delights.
Before and after the meeting, Tom Sayers will be showcasing his photos, calendars, note cards, and other things for sale, plus will give a brief update on the American Kestrel project he is doing before Sam's talk.

      Wildlife Series, 7:30 PM

      McAuley Residence Auditorium, 275 Steele Rd

      West Hartford, CT  06117
      Migrants, Here and
      There, Intimate Encounters with Birds of Passage -

      Townsend Dickinson will take us on a visual odyssey, venturing to
      productive birding areas in the Americas, to experience birds on
      migration. He will share intimate photos of life forms whose world can be
      virtually hemispheric. The focus will be mostly warblers and other
      songbirds, with a smattering of other species. His photographs depict real
      birds; the intent is to capture a feel for a bird of passage, coping with
      the daily challenges in the life of a migrant.

Season Ticket:  Adult = $12.00, Student = $6.00

                        Single Admission:  Adult = $4.00, Student = $2.00

Sara ZagorskiWethersfield