[CT Birds] AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER at Morse Point, West Haven

Folsom-O'Keefe, Corrie cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org
Thu Oct 4 14:39:16 EDT 2012

10/4/12, Morse Point, West Haven, 11am-1pm.  While doing my International shorebird survey for the Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds I had 1 AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER out at the end of Morse Point (sometimes foraging with a group of sanderlings and ruddy turnstones).   Had great looks at the bird: broad white supercillium, white also at the base of the bill and below eye stripe. golden flecks  on top of the head and in the back feathers.  No black in the armpits.  Thin bill compared to that of a black-bellied plover.  Different shape also (the neck felt thinner than black-bellied).  It was calling as well.

Other birds:  GREEN-WINGED TEALS were in the cove between Sandy and Morse Point.   Lots of sparrows at Morse Point including 15 SALTMARSH SPARROWS 9 SAVANNAH SPARROWS, 1 SWAMP SPARROW.
Also had these species in the weeds/grasses adjacent to the Mud Flats along Long Wharf drive in New Haven.   Also along Long Wharf Drive I saw what I believe was a small rail fly from the weeds/grasses along edge of the mud flats into the marsh grass and disappear.  What I saw was similar in shape to a sora in flight as pictured in Sibley's.

Last thing, at the Great Stratford Bird Festival this weekend, I am leading a Family Bird Walk (co-sponsored by the New Haven Bird Club) on Saturday at 9am at Beardsley Park and a second bird walk at Roosevelt Forest in Stratford (http://www.rooseveltforest.info/) on Sunday at 9am.   I'm also doing a Birding By Ear Talk and Walk at Stratford Point at 1pm which will focus on the songs/calls of birds that one is likely to find in CT in winter (owls, winter finches, various sparrows, the more common overwintering shorebirds, etc).  Learning these species will help folks identify birds on CBCs, the GBBC and other winter birding activities.  All three events are free and open to the public.

Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe
IBA Program Coordinator
Audubon CT