[CT Birds] Major coastal predawn migration

Kfinnan at aol.com Kfinnan at aol.com
Fri Oct 5 07:22:53 EDT 2012

It seems to be a coastal phenomenon.  Things were pretty quiet  here.

Kevin Finnan
Goshen

In a message dated 10/5/2012 6:43:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nbonomo at gmail.com writes:

Things  are quieting down right now at 640am just before sunrise, but the
density was  unbelievable earlier. I'm going to make estimates by doing some
math later but  you couldn't go 2 sec without a Swainson's Thrush, and
double-digit Gray-cheek  including one higher pitched bird that may have been
Bicknell's. We'll see if  my iPhone spectrogram image will be enough to
distinguish.

Not sure  what this will mean for this morning's birding but it couldn't
hurt to get out  and look, particularly along the coast.

They're still going in lower  density now.

Nick
Wallingford

Sent from my iPhone

On  Oct 5, 2012, at 6:19 AM, B Inskeep <binskeep at optonline.net>  wrote:

> Same in Stamford - Shippan, right outside my house. It's  incredible!
>
> Brenda Inskeep
>
> On Oct 5, 2012,  at 6:14 AM, Nick Bonomo <nbonomo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Standing right now on the coast in Norwalk, 610am, hundreds of flight
calls  per minute in the fog. Amazing.