[CT Birds] Down side to these migration into fog events

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 5 08:27:19 EDT 2012

A distinct down side to these events where migrants move from clear skies
into coastal fog can be a dramatic increase in building/structure strikes
killing migrants. I have seen great events at Millstone Station in the past,
with multitudes of migrants swirling around the station in the predawn fog.
Even had a Chuckwillswidow circling  low overhead calling. It can be
amazing. I even pulled coworkers (who normally wouldn't notice a Sandhill
Crane standing in a parking lot) out into the night to show them all the
ghostly little figures swirling in and out of the mist like snowflakes.
Their jaws dropped. But there were dozens of migrants killed by strikes
against structures, not just reflective structures either, but solid
concrete structures as well that the birds could not see in the mist.

If you are around tall coastal buildings or tall structures this morning,
take a quick look at their bases to see if we suffered many strikes last
night. Bear in mind gulls and corvids will scavenge these fairly quickly
where they can get at them.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England