[CT Birds] Bald Eagles and more, Greenwich harbor

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Fri Oct 5 13:51:30 EDT 2012

The routines of life kept me ignorant of the excitement this morning along the coast, but work kept me outside a lot and though without binoculars I was aware of a lot of activity in the trees around the Bruce Museum in Greenwich.  Mostly Yellow-rumped warblers and White-breasted nuthatches, but there were also a few thrushes I couldn't be sure of, though they were swainsons-like.  Also a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER.  Over Greenwich harbor, I saw 3, possibly 4 BALD EAGLES, 2 of them adults.

At lunch I visited Grass Island but it was surprisingly dead.  One MERLIN was seen along with a COOPERS HAWK and lots of Osprey.  A small duck came hurtling in and turned out to be a HOODED MERGANSER.  As it swam among the Black ducks I also noted a GREEN-WINGED TEAL.

-Sean Murtha

www.seanmurthaart.com