[CT Birds] Major coastal predawn migration

B Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Fri Oct 5 13:52:34 EDT 2012

When I left Cove Island wildlife sanctuary at 7:45 am, there was still dense fog and birds were continually dropping out of the sky. There seemed to be a good movement of sparrows, of those seen were: 2 White-crowned, 1 Lincoln's, several Swamp and Savannah as well as Song, many birds perched in trees and bushes dripping wet and they were everywhere - too many to look at in a short time. There were 5 Marsh Wrens seen well and at least 5 others crossing the path to the pond area; two were were softly vocalizing. I also flushed a rail which flew up briefly and flitted down a short distance beyond. Unfortunately because of poor light conditions I could not identify it although I suspect Virginia based on color and size. Hopefully many birders will and have had an opportunity to enjoy good numbers and varieties of birds today. Just the experience of hearing them call pre-dawn, of morning flight and watching them come in was spectacular.

Brenda Inskeep, Stamford