[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point HW, 10-5-12 A day that shouldn't have happened.

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 6 19:13:43 EDT 2012

'Yet another day that shouldn't have happened.  Greg had that excellent moderate SW wind day back on Monday October 1.  I think today was the first day I left the hawk watch (albeit at 4 pm) when a front came through and winds shifted to strong West, ie, to "favorable".
Sir Richard Dawkins once called ol' Didymus, the Patron Saint of the Scientist.  I have to admit when Don mentioned 17 Peregrines the first hour, there were dropped mouths and raised eyebrows amongst the gang.  But all afternoon, we watched a steady stream of PGs - adults, immatures, males, females, tundrius-colored, anatum-colored, mongrel-colored - all streaming NE to SW, or E to W.
Virtually all the hawks were less than 30 meters off the deck.  A wonderful day.  I can't believe I'm saying this:  tomorrow on a light NW wind day, I'm hoping for a few crumbs from the previous SW wind day...
Steve Mayo