[CT Birds] Wild morning at Bluff Point

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 7 14:17:45 EDT 2012

Well the clear cold atmosphere of last night encouraged many, many birds to
move. The hot corner at Bluff Point this morning was wild with multitudes of
warblers, sparrows, and more. It is always difficult to estimate numbers
under these conditions. Every birder is trying to identify birds through
binoculars while many others fly past. Today a small group of birders that
included myself, Chris Elphick, Steve Morytko, Rob Braunfield, Russ Smiley,
and more, tried our best. It was at times like having several people
throwing handfuls of marbles past you and you had to count how many they
threw and what color each marble was! The clear winners were (as expected)
White-throated Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Both Chris and I made
some estimates of the numbers today. Chris's numbers are more conservative
than mine, but who is closer to the actual number??? We had over 80 total
species, 16 species of warblers that we were confident of, at least 8
species of sparrows, and both species of Cuckoo among at least 6,000 total
birds (my estimate). Here is the highlight list (again the estimates are

Osprey (6+)

Bald Eagle (1)

Northern Harrier (1)

Sharp-shinned Hawk (2)

Cooper's Hawk (1)

Merlin (2)

Black-billed Cuckoo (1)

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (1)

Red-bellied Woodpecker (1 migrant)

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (6)

Northern Flicker (16)

Eastern Wood-Pewee (1)

Eastern Phoebe (20+)

White-eyed Vireo ( 1 immature)

Blue-headed Vireo (12+)

Red-eyed Vireo (20+)

Common Raven (heard)

Red-breasted Nuthatch (15+)

Golden-crowned Kinglet (100+)

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (30+)

Gray-cheeked thrush species by flight call (3 or 4)

Swainson's Thrush (12+)

Hermit Thrush (5)

Unidentified Catharus thrush species (15+)

Gray Catbird (50+)

Brown Thrasher (2)

Tennessee Warbler (2)

Nashville Warbler (4)