[CT Birds] 10/07/2012 Purple Finches, Hamden, N. Lake

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Sun Oct 7 16:10:24 EDT 2012

From Arthur Shippee & Mary Porterfield
10/07/12 - Hamden, North Lake Drive -- Purple Finches, two males and one juv./f.

I don't know that I've seen a Purple Finch here before.  (Back in novice days, I thought I had, but then I saw these guys.)  What color!  & suffused & glowing.  Very nice notches, & striping so much more distinct.  They've been popping in & out, with a mixed flock of BC Chickadees, T. Titmice, House Sparrows, House Finches, Goldfinch, Nuthatch, & Red Bellied Wood Pecker (I'm ignoring the Grackles).  Haven't seen Siskin here, yet.

Flo, these were at our back feeder, and they popped out of the RWA land behind us.