[CT Birds] LHP area lotta birds

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 16:51:57 EDT 2012

>From Greg Hanisek
10/7 New Haven, Newington Adult Ed field trip
Lighthouse Point - BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO
Those were the highlights. We mostly worked on songbirds, getting some of Steve's 200+ hawks as we went, but as he (and Dave Provencher at Bluff) said, it was a morning of overwhelming bird movement. Lighthouse experienced significant morning flight, with heavy traffic of warblers, few of which offered good looks. We got N. Parula, Blackpoll, Black-throated Blue and Black-throated Green (at Fort Hale) along with big numbers of Yellow-rumpeds, Palms and a few C. Yellowthroats, as well as a couple Blue-headed Vireos. PURPLE FINCHES were everywhere, calling as flyovers and singing weakly when they perched. Many Am Goldfiches were accompanied by a few PINE SISKINS. YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS were conspicuous and we were seldom out of earshot of RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES. At East Shore they were almost eating out of our hands in the pines. There were plenty of flickers, phoebes and both kinglets. White-throated Sparrows were the most numerous of many common
 sparrows, which included one Lincoln's Sparrow. Diurnal flyovers included a lot of Blue Jays and Cedar Waxwings as well as the finches (including House Finches in addition to those mentioned above). Can there be TOO many birds? Of course not. But we watched helplessly as group after group moved through unidientified or just identified to group (i.e. "warblers"). 4+ hours of fun!