[CT Birds] 10/7 - Pine Creek

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:21:56 EDT 2012

I was finally able to catch a break in my busy schedule and head to Pine
Creek this morning. Although there weren't really any standouts, I was able
to record 64 species including 9 wood-warblers. The area I cover on my
trips to Pine Creek is so massive (4 mi.+) that I often wonder if it's
worth it to cover that much ground. I've been thinking lately that my
visits could be just as productive if I just slowed down and spent a long
while in a single area. Everywhere at Pine Creek is really birdy, so I
think it would still be worthwhile if I only covered specific areas.
However, I'd then probably be wondering what I was missing elsewhere!

Highlights:

1 Pied-billed Grebe
1 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
1 Red-breasted Nuthatch
2 Brown Creeper
2 Winter Wren
1 Black-and-white Warbler
10 Common Yellowthroat
5 American Redstart (certainly one of my highest October counts)
1 Northern Parula
1 Magnolia Warbler
1 Blackpoll Warbler
1 Black-and-white Warbler
1 Palm Warbler (palmarum)
2 Palm Warbler (hypochrysea)
52 Yellow-rumped Warbler
5 Eastern Towhee
1 Field Sparrow
1 White-crowned Sparrow
10 Pine Siskin (patch bird)

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11731307

Alex Burdo
Fairfield

>From Alex Burdo:
10/7/12 - Fairfield, Pine Creek -- 1 PIED-BILLED GREBE, 1 YELLOW-CROWNED
NIGHT-HERON, 1 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, 2 BROWN CREEPER, 1 WHITE-CROWNED
SPARROW, 10 PINE SISKIN