[CT Birds] Purple Finches

Janis LaPointe sunbirdjan at cox.net
Sun Oct 7 23:10:00 EDT 2012

In Enfield, I too have more Purple Finches than ever before at my feeders.     The first few days they were all in "female" plumage with just one imm. male and one bird with a red blush on its throat.   Now am seeing several distinct males and fewer females.     They keep coming all day, so I have no idea how to count the numbers.    I do have some pictures I need to upload to Flickr and post.     I've seen this species at my feeders every day since 9/29.     Many  House Finches too.    I ocassionally shoo them off to give the Chickadees, Titmice and Goldfinches a chance to take seeds.   I've added extra feeding stations with some decorative feeder items given to me as gifts.  It's a frenzy out there.
Janis LaPointe
Enfield