[CT Birds] Stratford Beach by Marnicks

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:49:58 EDT 2012

10/8  Stratford (Seawall) by Marnicks  3:10PM-4PM high tide by rocky area.
After a late lunch at Marnick's in Stratford, we took a walk along the
Flying West to East (towards Stratford Point) were 2 separate flocks of
Brant.  First flock was about 50, flying in beautifully tight V formation,
not more than a couple of feet above the water;  second flock about
10 minutes later had 18 Brant  flying in a straight line, also just above
the water.
Is the following unusual?.......
There was 1 lone young (juvenile) Semipalmated Plover (pale brown breast
band , white lore, completely black bill,orange/yellow legs), walking &
feeding on the rocks . We watched it for at least 20 minutes as it foraged
on some mossy stuff on the rocks, then hopped to another rock and continued
heading west, flying a bit for a short distance to another rock. I haven't
ever seen just 1 Semipalmated Plover-always have seen them in large
and is this late for them?
Bev Propen, Orange