[CT Birds] Boothe Park 10/8

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:08:51 EDT 2012

I'd give a lot for a day with a strong Great Lakes high, or complete
frontal passage 12+ hours earlier...or even a high that could sustain a NW
flow on all levels actually and somehow be above 5 MPH. These meh
conditions can still work wonders for the more geographically blessed, but
we need atmospheric assistance to really roll. Nevertheless, we're doing OK
at Boothe, and a day with a record 20 BAEA is nice. We continue to
annihilate our (albeit short) history of BAEA and OSPR totals for the
season and every bird is a new high despite not cracking 100 hours yet. Tom
Murray, Jim Bair, Charlie Barnard, Frank Mantlik and I pieced together 8
hours with the following 378 migrant raptors:

Turkey Vulture  28
Osprey  35
Bald Eagle  20
Northern Harrier  3
Sharp-shinned Hawk  176
Cooper's Hawk  61
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  21
Red-tailed Hawk  21
American Kestrel  6
Merlin  1
Peregrine Falcon  3
UR  2

Southbound migrants included:
Canada Goose  79
Common Loon  3
Double-crested Cormorant  14
Great Blue Heron  9
Blue Jay  41
Tree Swallow  45
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  49
PURPLE FINCH  32
House Finch  86
PINE SISKIN  14
American Goldfinch  16
Finch sp.  38 but in reality probably hundreds

Migrants in the park included:
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER 1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue-headed Vireo  1
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH  5
Golden-crowned Kinglet  8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
Palm Warbler (Western)  1
Palm Warbler (Yellow)  8
Pine Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  13
Prairie Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  5
Savannah Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  3
LINCOLN'S SPARROW  1
White-throated Sparrow  6
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW  1
PURPLE FINCH  2
PINE SISKIN  2

The BAEA total was a new site record (16 on 09/16/12). The SSHA count is
the third highest ever and the OSPR count just missed the third slot for
the species as well. Our 3 BLACK VULTURES decided to hang out today, too.
Good luck to all on Thursday.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT