[CT Birds] [NOSbird] fall birds

Tricia Reid reidtri at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 09:25:33 EDT 2012

Wait till the Evening Grosbeaks show up too, apparently one has been
spotted in CT this week.  We'll all be eaten out of house and home if they
descend on us along with the Siskins.

I'm seeing a lone Nighthawk over the Mansfield Center Common Fields every
evening I walk down there and at least one Great Egret is still hanging out.

 Anyone interested in preserving that area should attend the Zoning
Committee meeting on the 15th, there is a request to use part of the fields
for overflow parking and to develop the area up to the easement along the
edge of the pond.  The plan is to rebuild the old Eaton Farms barn and to
turn it into a banquet and live music venue.  I know not many of this group
bird there, but I regularily see GBH, Great Egret, Banded Kingfishers,
Moorhens, varied sparrows, finches and Bluebirds (and all the Barn Swallows
that would need a new home).  The highbush cranberry bog is breeding ground
for RWBs and Mallards and Canada Geese raised broods there this year.

Tricia Reid
Mansfield Center