[CT Birds] Falcons in Doha, Qatar

Orientale, Eugene EOrienta at stfranciscare.org
Tue Oct 9 09:34:09 EDT 2012

Hello all,

Nothing to do with CT birding... but something that piqued my curiosity while abroad last week in Doha, Qatar. A beautiful country in its own unique way, with resources unimaginable in the US...

While visiting the marketplace Souq Waqif, we came upon several stores selling domesticated(!) falcons. They are exchanged as gifts among the Qatari people. I could not identify the species from any of the common US falcons, and my iPhone iBird Pro app only took me as far as North American birds.

Anyone have any idea about the species I was looking at?
Thanks-

Eugene Orientale

NOTICE: This email and/or attachments may contain confidential or proprietary information which may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient(s). If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify the author by replying to this message. If you are not the named recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, make copies or print this email, and should immediately delete it from your computer system. Saint Francis Care has scanned this email and its attachments for malicious content. However, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Saint Francis Care accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.