[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - 368 raptors + Cackling Goose

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 19:42:55 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Another good day at Quaker - as with Lighthouse we saw our way through the light drizzle to amass a rather nice 368 raptors on the day - pretty good considering we were light handed on the day. Apart from the raptors we had one goose I am happy calling a Cackling based on size and structure (feel much more confident on these after a load of experience with them in flight over Braddock Bay).

The one that got away today possibly was an interesting small loon that flew over with two Commons - feel confident I'd ruled out RT Loon on structure, plumage and flight style but not sure I could get any further than that - sometimes you just have to say I don't know for sure, do you get runty Common Loons?

ps I'm blaming the huge lag time on the new ABA site for my cross posting with Greg about the Crossbills ;)

Luke Tiller, Greenwich