[CT Birds] LHPP Tuesday 10-09

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 9 22:03:19 EDT 2012

Stop the presses.   After Bill left, Nick Bonomo and I ticked off another 129, including 8 more Bald Eagles.

So, here's what we've had at New Haven's Lighthouse Point Park (LPP) during our peak season:  Friday (light northerly winds) 280; Saturday (moderate SW winds, with birds down LOW, a LPP record 66 Peregrine Falcon count and not a single buteo) 368; Sunday (light northerly ending in south winds and rain) 255; Monday (light northerly shifting S with rain and a LPP record Bald eagle count of 30) 754; today (beautiful clouds, moderate NE with some am rain) 434.

'Not to mention the 1-2 Nighthawks, 2-3 Cuckoos, late hummingbirds, 2 Evening Grosbeaks, Western Kingbird, 3-5 YB Sapsuckers, 1, 2 and 3 Common Ravens, 4 Dickcissels,  7 Rusty Blackbirds, and a bat - presumably the migratory Red Bat -  hundreds of YR Warblers, and zillions (is that a word?) Purple Finch, House Finch, American Goldfinch and Pine Siskin.  And, among all these low-flying hawks are the "resident" or "lingerer" hawks such as Merlins, Peregrines, Coopers and Red-shoulders, that hunt low in the Park.

And, we're beginning to see our visitors and old friends from the hawk watches to the north - they're done for the season.  I've so many memories from the past 4 days down there:  the neurotic juvenile Peregrine glued to a branch, screaming and flapping as an adult male occasionally dove on it.  A pair of Peregrines screaming, one chasing a Jay, the other a finch.  Those ridiculous-looking WB Nuthatches in flight, "kettling" in twos or threes over LPP, also afraid to cross the Harbor.  The swarms of Jays.  A flock of 3 huge, female Cooper's Hawks 8 feet off the ground, zooming past the shoulders of a crowd of watchers.  One Osprey after another, heading west, with a dead bunker, its tail flapping in the Osprey's undercarriage.

Tomorrow morning is sure to have hawks, before the winds go onshore.  As for Thursday and Friday - more outstanding hawk watching weather.  We just may not get one of those glorious 1000+ (12 hawk species) days this year.  It looks like we will instead have even more 200+ (12 hawk species) days, this week.

Steve Mayo
Bethany