[CT Birds] Siskins

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Oct 10 17:36:59 EDT 2012

The Pine Siskins could be gone tomorrow, but then there was this...

Looking back to the winter of early 2009 there were reports from Jim & Carrol Zipp, of the Fat Robin, of 100 or more at their extensive back-yard feeders in Hamden starting around 1 Feb with about 100, up to 250 or more by 7 Feb, 400+ on 11 Feb, 325 on 16 Feb, " well over 100" on 22 Feb, "still 200+" on 6 Mar, "back up over 200" on 6 April, " still approx 200" on 8 April.

That was winter; this is so much earlier that making a comparison seems far fetched, but if nothing else it shows that they can do the unexpected.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT