[CT Birds] Ravens in Waterford

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Oct 11 08:21:46 EDT 2012

Ravens are pretty ho-hum in CT these days but 5 gamboling over Millstone Station in Waterford this morning is notable, having only seen a single raven once in the last few months here. The birds were picking up small stones or shells and rising vertically into the northwest wind to drop the objects and then swooping down to catch them before they hit the ground. A perfect example of a bird being able to use headwind to descend at faster than the gravitational rate without flapping. Also had a flock of about 15 Siskins passing over as I walked in, and Black-capped Chickadees zipping over in ones and twos, among many Kinglet and Yellow-rumped calls. I'll be very curious to hear today's Chickadee numbers at Lighthouse. I've always felt that Lighthouse's numbers are the best indicator of the extent of Chickadee movement each Fall.

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.