[CT Birds] RHM Vesper, possible Clay-colored+

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Oct 12 09:56:13 EDT 2012

I stopped by the Rocky Hill Meadows this morning on my way to Manchester. There was a Vesper Sparrow the Meadows this morning, in the half mown weedy corn field just past the woods by the river after the turf farms (heading north from Ferry Park entrance).  Also a very quick look at a possible Clay-colored Sparrow in the same spot.  A few late Bobolinks still there, a few Purple Finches a couple of Pine Siskins, a R-b Nuthatch and 6,000,000 Savannah Sparrows.

On the way in, a large piece of farm equipment flushed a very light colored 'blonde' crowish-sized owl.  It quickly set down in deep cover...perhaps a Barn Owl?  Posting that because chances of harassment are virtually zero here and it's a huge place.

Patrick Comins, Meriden

Sent from my iPhone