[CT Birds] Grassland birds and even more Siskins

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Fri Oct 12 13:53:21 EDT 2012

This is a good time to be checking inland fields and pastures for birds of open country like Longspurs (Laplands are due now), Pipits, Sparrows, etc., especially for vagrants. On my way home yesterday I stopped for a brief brisk walk at Maplewoods Cemetery in Norwich. The grasses of a recently mowed open field there held quite a few Savannah Sparrows (at least the few that weren't at Rocky Hill Meadows!) and just before the gloaming 6 American Pipits flew off to roost.

The flood of Siskins continues along the coast, in the three or four minutes it took me to walk from my car to the access point at Millstone Station this morning three flocks passed over heading westwards along the shore. The total number of birds was roughly 80 to 100. Quite an impressive irruption.

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.