[CT Birds] Birds hitting windows

Lynn Jones lynnjones11 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 21:11:09 EDT 2012

We've used multiple methods at work with trying to use soap to combat
window strikes.  Here is a blog post from a couple of years ago with one
method.
http://birdingwestcampus.blogspot.com/2009/11/trying-to-solve-problem.html

Also, We've tried taking bar soap and liquifying it in a spray bottle and
then spraying the soapy solution on the windows.  Both of these we have
done outside which work fairly well, you just need to reapply whenever it
rains.

We've also made suds from bar soap and made a pattern on the inside of the
windows but it wasn't in an area with high mortality so it's difficult to
discern if it's effective.   Make sure you choose a soap that's filmy,
probably the cheaper the better.

In general whatever method you choose to try to battle window strikes, the
best is done on the OUTSIDE of the windows.  This not only breaks up the
see-through look but also breaks up reflections.

-Lynn