[CT Birds] LPP on Friday, or perhaps fried day

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 22:12:41 EDT 2012

>From Dana Campbell, some regulars, and some great guests:
10/12/12 - New Haven - Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch - 487 migrating
raptors including:  9 Bald Eagles, 200 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 74 American
Kestrels, 24 Merlins, 15 PEREGRINE FALCONS  and 78 Cooper's Hawks.
Also:  1 BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, 1 RED CROSSBILL, EASTERN MEADOWLARK (3
SIGHTINGS), 1 RED--BREASTED NUTHATCH, 3 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, 105 PURPLE FINCH,
AND 1 CHIMNEY SWIFT.
Flocks of geese are becoming common now.  We counted 260 Canada Geese and
210 Brant.  Early in the morning the air was filled with small migrants.
Grossly undercounted, there were:  200+ American Goldfinch, 1k+ Cedar
Waxwings, 1k+ Pine Siskins, 1k+ House Finch, 400+ American Robins, 750
Unidentified Finch, 200+ Tree Swallows, and 14 Great Blue Herons--12 in one
group.  And more....

During the rain squall we observed a large adult female Coop snatch a
Northern Flicker.

Thanks especially go to the guests who were passing through on their way to
the gathering of the Hawk Migration Assn. of North America who spotted the
cold front passing, dropped in and were immediately pressed into service!
Without the expert spotting of Mike Lanzone of Pittsburgh (Presenting on
Golden Eagles tomorrow at HMANA) we would not have found and IDed many
birds as they came in high, far off, and fast.  He also pointed out the Red
Crossbill flying over the park.  Equally helpful and gracious were Andy
Parsons and Bob Pettit who normally work the Holiday Beach site in Ontario.

--
Dana Campbell, Interim Rector
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Meriden
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come."

Chinese Proverb